In June 2020 it was officially announced that the 2021 Oscars would be postponed until April 25 as a result of the ongoing coronavirus pandemic. Today, we’re given a tease of what’s to come thanks to the Oscars announcing its 2021 nominations.
As per usual, the nominees are a star-studded array of names but, this year, British actors are leading the way. Representing the UK are Vanessa Kirby, Gary Oldman, Riz Ahmed, Sacha Baron-Cohen, Carey Mulligan, Olivia Colman, Daniel Kaluuya and Sir Anthony Hopkins, and elsewhere in the ever-developing world of the Oscars is a first in its 93-year history: two women have been nominated for Best Director.
Chloe Zhao has been nominated for her film Nomadland — which is also one of the Best Picture nominations and has a total of six nominations across the board. Additionally, Emerald Fennell has been nominated for her film Promising Young Woman.
The full list of nominations in all of the categories can be found below:
The leading nominees:
- 10 nominations – Mank
- 6 – The Father
- 6 – Judas and the Black Messiah
- 6 – Minari
- 6 – Nomadland
- 6 – Sound of Metal
- 6 – The Trial of the Chicago 7
- The Father
- Judas and the Black Messiah
- Promising Young Woman
- Sound of Metal
- The Trial of the Chicago 7
- Viola Davis, Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
- Andra Day, The United States vs Billie Holiday
- Vanessa Kirby, Pieces of a Woman
- Frances McDormand, Nomadland
- Carey Mulligan, Promising Young Woman
- Riz Ahmed, Sound of Metal
- Chadwick Boseman, Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
- Sir Anthony Hopkins, The Father
- Gary Oldman, Mank
- Steven Yeun, Minari
Best supporting actress
- Maria Bakalova, Borat Subsequent Moviefilm
- Glenn Close, Hillbilly Elegy
- Olivia Colman, The Father
- Amanda Seyfried, Mank
- Yuh-Jung Youn, Minari
Best supporting actor
- Sacha Baron Cohen, The Trial of the Chicago 7
- Daniel Kaluuya, Judas and the Black Messiah
- Leslie Odom Jr, One Night in Miami
- Paul Raci, Sound of Metal
- Lakeith Stanfield, Judas and the Black Messiah
Standouts include Best Supporting Actor nominee Daniel Kaluuya who played Fred Hampton of the Black Panthers in Judas and the Black Messiah, while Riz Ahmed is up for his first Oscar nomination for playing a drummer in Sound of Metal. Winners will be announced on April 25 when the Oscars are set to take place.
In other news, here are the 2021 GRAMMY winners.