The holiday season is upon us. It’s a time for getting cozy, making memories, and looking forward to the new year ahead.
My guest today has plenty of research-backed insights on how to take each of those things to the next level. His name is Meik Wiking, and he’s the CEO of the Happiness Research Institute and the author of The Little Book of Hygge: Danish Secrets to Happy Living, as well as The Art of Making Memories: How to Create and Remember Happy Moments. We begin our discussion exploring the Danish concept of hygge, which is the art of getting cozy, and how it helps Danes survive their long, harsh winters. Mike also discusses his research on how to create lasting memories. We then combine these ideas to explore how lighting, food, scent, and more can help you inject more hygge into the holiday season, and make Christmas and the coming year your most memorable yet.
You’ll want to grab a hot cocoa and wrap yourself in a blanket before cozying up to this show.
- What is hygge?
- What elements make hygge happen?
- Why you feel more hygge after some sort of exertion or effort
- What’s the connection between hygge and making memories?
- The value of nostalgia
- The connection between our senses and memory
- What does research say about how to make memories last?
- Injecting more novelty into your holidays (and life)
- What can people do to make their home more hygge during the holidays?
- Why you should put up even more Christmas decorations
- The power of happy Christmas smells
- The impact of food on how hygge our holidays are
- Balancing traditions with new experiences
- The Apollo picnic
- How to review your memories of the year that’s passed
- The ways in which struggle brings greater happiness, and how to do that at the holidays (in a healthy way!)
- Chore wars and being tolerant of how other people are remembering things
Resources/People/Articles Mentioned in Podcast
- Wish You Had More Time? What You Really Want is More Memories
- More Footage: Take the One-Month “Do Something New Every Day” Challenge
- Nostalgia: Its Benefits and Downsides
- In Defense of Nostalgia
- 11 Ways to Get Into the Holiday Spirit
- The Art of Anticipation
- Be a Time Wizard
- Culture You Can Heft
- How to Make Your Own Candles
- How to Get the Most Out of Family Dinners
- The Magic of Walking with Erling Kagge
Connect With Meik
Listen to the Podcast! (And don’t forget to leave us a review!)
Recorded on ClearCast.io
Listen ad-free on Stitcher Premium; get a free month when you use code “manliness” at checkout.
Casper Mattress. A mattress that comes right to your door, with a 100-night risk-free trial. Yes, you read that correctly. Visit www.casper.com/manliness and use the code “manliness” to save up to $100 on your next mattress.
Brilliant Earth is the global leader in ethically sourced fine jewelry, and THE destination for creating your own custom engagement ring. Get complimentary diamond earrings with any purchase over $1,000 and shop all their selections at BrilliantEarth.com/manliness.
Read the Transcript
The post Podcast #566: How to Have a Hyggely Christmas and a More Memorable New Year appeared first on The Art of Manliness.