How do you form a meaningful connection with another person? Well, it starts with simply opening your mouth. From there, my guest says, you want to progress through a conversation, or perhaps a series of conversations, in a particular sequence of stages that will form an effective on-ramp towards a stronger relationship.
Her name is Judy Apps, she’s a speaking and voice coach and the author of several books on communication, including The Art of Conversation. Today Judy and I discuss that art, beginning with why it’s so important to learn. We then get into the different levels a conversation should progress through in order to build intimacy and smoothly segue into discussing the things that matter most. Judy explains how to bring the kind of energy to a conversation that creates connection, and two exercises you can use to overcome the self-consciousness that can thwart that energy. Along the way, we discuss how conversation is both a game that you can have fun practicing, and a dance that can flow into some of life’s most magical moments.
If reading this in an email, click the title of the post to listen to the show.
- Where do most people falter when it comes to conversation?
- How is conversation like a dance?
- How should you approach conversation with someone new?
- Why you need to embrace small talk
- Thinking vs feeling in conversation
- Progressing through levels of conversation to get deeper and more intimate
- Conversational experiments to try out
- What should you do when you get anxious before or during a conversation?
- The benefits of thinking of conversation as a game
- How much tone and body language matters when conversing with people
Resources/Articles/People Mentioned in Podcast
- How to Design Conversations That Matter
- The Power of Conversation
- How to Avoid Conversational Narcissism
- How to Start and Sustain Conversations
- How Conversation Builds Character
- Reclaiming Conversation
- The Art of Conversation: 5 Do’s and Don’ts
- How to Make Small Talk
- Why You Need to Embrace Small Talk
- How to Initiate Small Talk
- Why You Should Talk to Strangers
Connect With Judy
How Your Voice Touches Others (Judy’s TED talk)
Listen to the Podcast! (And don’t forget to leave us a review!)
Listen ad-free on Stitcher Premium; get a free month when you use code “manliness” at checkout.
Read the Transcript
The post Podcast #709: The Art of Conversation — A Guided Tour of a Neglected Pleasure appeared first on The Art of Manliness.